Volunteer With Us
Love In the Name of Christ (INC) can only serve others through the time, skills, and gifts of our volunteers. There are multiple ways that you can help others by volunteering with Love INC. Join a ministry team of Love INC and be a part of an organized interdenominational response to our neighbors in need. Volunteers are asked to submit an application outlining their preferences as a volunteer and attend a two-hour orientation that are held once a month or by appointment if necessary. Help Center volunteers are given an opportunity to shadow experienced volunteers to understand our application, interview and verification process and Resource Navigators will be paired with another Navigator to become comfortable with expectations, if requested.
Help Center Volunteer Opportunities: (Available weekdays 9AM-1PM)
- Interviewing guests referred for services and verifying application information.
- Administrative duties such as validating and updating resources, data entry, answering phones and scheduling interviews.
- Follow up after Lunch and Learn meetings to invite interested participants to a future orientation.
- Conducting follow-up calls to check in on guests served to make sure the resources given were appropriate/delivered, ensure that they were treated with respect throughout the process, and to check on their well-being.
- Sending prayer cards and notes of encouragement.
Resource Navigators: Volunteers willing to have a one to one relationship to mentor, coach and support guests who have more long-term challenges and who are willing to participate in creating a success plan to improve their future. The hours for this opportunity are flexible and we match Navigators with guests based on guests’ needs, skills of Navigator and faith tradition or church affiliation. Navigators are needed for both the Love INC guests and men who are in the Portico Workforce Housing Solutions program. These opportunities are very transformative for both the guests and volunteer and help us to create “Love Stories” and give volunteers wonderful experiences with people who may have had life experiences very different than theirs.
Church Ministry Coordinators (CMC): These are volunteers who represent each of the member churches and serve as a liaison between Love INC and their church and congregation. CMC will be asked to meet periodically with Love INC staff and other CMC, help organize Love INC activities at their church to build awareness of the ministry, and to help identify volunteers from their church with specific skills to work as a Resource Navigator, depending on goals and plans of a guest.
Board of Directors and Committee Members: Representatives from member churches who are committed to sharing their skills and experiences to strengthen and grow the Love INC ministry.
- Home Repairs
- Transportation for household items or for individuals in need for specific appointments.
- Any professional skills that may be needed by an individual, family or household. This can include budgeting, legal advice, automobile services, and skills for the Love INC organization like marketing, media and accounting.
- Newsletter assembly, four times a year.
- Assistance in planning for and hosting the breakfast fundraisers in April and October.
- Work days to clean up yards, paint homes, etc.
- Speakers bureau and community education on Redemptive Compassion and When Helping Hurts.
- Open Arms Sunday Feeding – Love INC team volunteers the fourth Sunday of the month – 7:30-9:30 AM at Hyde Park United Methodist Church.
The volunteer opportunities are endless and we welcome any ideas you may have for contributing your gifts, talents and skills. Please contact Ann Doyle, firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-541-7366.
Complete the Volunteer Sign Up Form Below
Sign Up For Our Volunteer Newsletter
Complete this sign up form to receive updates for volunteer information and details.
Jim Souza, defense attorney, Love INC volunteer/ Resource Navigator and Sacred Heart Tampa Church member, asked Love INC back in early 2018: “What is your greatest need? Teach me to serve.” In August of that same year, Tampa Housing Authority referred “James S,” a 76 year old veteran, to Love INC for rent assistance. James had paid rent via money order for years, but his two most recent payments had been misdirected, stolen and cashed. Despite attempts to explain and remedy his unpaid rents, his landlord demanded that Jim pay two months past-due rent or face eviction.
Jim Souza engaged in relationship with James and successfully mediated a resolution. Jim continues to tirelessly advocate for our neighbors in need and create intentional relationships that help rescue, redeem and restore our guests’ self-worth and self-esteem. He’s up to at least 12 Love INC families now, and counting…